Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Quilt

What do you do with a custom-made Katie Kay Tee when your child has outgrown it? Make it into a t-shirt quilt!

I have saved almost every single shirt I made for Katie. My plan was to sew them into a quilt one day, maybe when she turns 18. I mentioned this to her, and she was so excited about it that I wanted figure out a way to make her one now. I asked Grandma, and she agreed to make it for me.

Grandma came over today and we went to Wal-Mart and picked out fabric for the backing, interfacing to iron on the back of the shirts for stabilization, and quilt edging. Then we came home and cut the shirts apart, and I bled on some of the scraps after running the rotary cutter into my finger - ouch! We placed the shirt squares in the order we liked best. It kind of made me sad to know that my baby won't ever wear the shirts again. When we were done, Grandma took everything home and will start sewing and doing all the hard work.

Here's what we have ready so far. I'll post a photo of the completed quilt after Christmas.

EDIT: I'm weak, okay? I am not good at keeping surprises. So I couldn't wait until Christmas. Blame it on Grandma because she finished the quilt so quickly. (It took about four days, y'all! I can't wait to retire...) So here's the finished product, with Grandma and Katie. I LOVE it, and I'm so thrilled with how it turned out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I may have to do this with some of the tee shirts that I own too! (marching band, pep band, school logos, etc).

Anonymous said...

I love this too! I have a stack of hubby's college sweatshirts that I'm planning to do this with, but I don't quite know how to do it. My super-sewer aunt tried to jot down instructions for me, but it looks like I'll be needing to consult your MIL! Great job!