Friday, July 25, 2008

Customized Shirts & Onesies

I made my first customized onesie when my daughter was about 6 months old. I saw some cute iron-on flowers on clearance at Wal-Mart, and decided to use them to decorate some plain white onesies. The idea was that iron-ons would dress up the white onesies, but I would still be able to bleach them when the inevitable drool or food stained them.

Then I started making customized shirts. It started as something fun that I could do for my daughter. Soon after, I decided to make one for her friend as a birthday gift. I think that was borne out of desperation to find something unique as a birthday gift, and something that would celebrate the birthday girl's sense of style as well as her new Big Girl status of being a whopping three year old. Plus, it was very inexpensive for me because I already had the fabric paint on hand. All I had to do was buy the shirt in the correct size, and I was on my way!

Now I love making shirts for my kids, plus our friends. I've even made one for myself that says "Boy's Mama." It matches my son's shirt that says, "Mama's Boy."
Since those first iron-on onesies, I think I've gotten better at making the shirts fit a child's personality and, at the same time, I've gotten the hang of using puffy paint. I've learned how to sort of grind the paint into the fabric while I'm writing, so the paint won't peel off after the first washing.

Lately, I've had friends start asking me how much I'll charge to make a shirt for them, so I decided to start this blog and see if anyone else might be interested in buying a customized shirt or onesie. If you're interested, let me know by leaving me a comment with your email address. I'll contact you as soon as I can. Thanks for checking out my blog!

No comments: