Monday, August 4, 2008

100 Buttons

I got the idea for Katie's newest shirt by reading two library books about celebrating the 100th day of Kindergarten. Both books had a character who had a shirt with 100 buttons sewn to it. I decided I wanted to make one like that for Katie, because her school celebrates the 100th Day. I pulled out my button collection, and she picked out 100 buttons for me to sew onto her shirt. I bought her three different shirts: red, pink, and white. The sweet girl told me she wanted the red shirt, since it's my favorite color. (!)

This weekend, I started sewing the buttons on the shirt in the shape of a heart. The idea was to complete the heart, then fill it in with the remaining buttons. Well, I finished the heart and only used THIRTY-NINE buttons. Ugh! I don't know if I can do the remaining 61! First of all, that's a lot of work. But more importantly, that's a lot of weight on the shirt. Just the 39 that are already on there make the shirt pretty heavy. I guess I could switch to tiny, lightweight buttons for the remaining 61, or I could just leave it at 39. I also thought about adding buttons to the bottom of the shirt, around the hem. But that will still be heavy.
Does anyone have any ideas of how I can complete the shirt with 100 buttons?

3 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

What a cute shirt!

Anonymous said...

Another quote for a onesie:
"Dingo Bait"
it took me a few minutes to get it (I'm such a dork!) and then I cracked up! This of course, has nothing to do with your button idea, but it popped into my head and I wanted to share. I'll start "pondering" the 100 button issue next!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I came up with an idea.....what about making another heart on the back of the shirt? That would get you up to 78 buttons. THEN maybe you could make a teeny heart with small buttons in the middle of the front one?